Tests Before you Go to Study Abroad

Some universities require you to take an internationally approved test to proove you academic or English level.
Some universities require that you take a test of English proficiency or/and a test of your academic level before they admit you as a student.

Test of English Proficiency - IELTS and TOEFL

The IELTS and TOEFL tests assess your ability to listen, read, write and speak English.

Most of our partner universities accept both the TOEFL and the IELTS test scores, but we recommend that you contact one of KILROY's student counsellors before you sign up for a specific test.

Most universities will accept that you submit your application before you have your test scores.
The score requirements vary from course to course and university to university. You can find the specific score requirements on the universities' websites or on your conditional offer.

Most Europeans will not have a problem getting a test score that meet the requirements set by the university they are applying to.

If the course you apply for requires a high test score then you might want to consider whether you are most likely to get a high TOEFL or IELTS score. In a situation like this you should also check how many times and how often you can retake the TOEFL or IELTS test where you live.

We recommend that you prepare well before taking the IELTS or TOEFL test. There are several excellent online resources that can help you prepare for your IELTS or TOEFL test.

Check up on this before you sign up for a language test

  • Do I need to take a language test?
  • When and where can I take a language test?
  • What is the score requirement for the university/course I want to apply for?
  • How fast will I need my test results?

Test of Academic Level (GMAT + GRE test)

Some universities, especially in the U.S., will require that you take a test that shows your academic level before they admit you to their master or PhD programs.

Both the GMAT and the GRE test will show your academic level. Contact KILROY education if you are unsure of which of these tests you should sign up to and whether a test of your academic level is needed at all.