Study at University of Auckland
The University of Auckland is New Zealands oldest and largest university. The university is located right in the city centre of Auckland, yet close to the harbour and diverse natural landscapes. Outside the city the whole New Zealand’s North Island is full of adventures and possibilities for you to explore alongside your studies.
As a student at the University of Auckland, you are one of more than 6,000 international students representing more than 110 nationalities. The multicultural mix of students and staff creates a dynamic and inspiring atmosphere at the campus. At the University of Auckland, you’ll benefit from modern facilities, high quality of teaching, skilled lecturers and a special career support program.
10 reasons to study at the University of Auckland
- The University of Auckland is a renowned university in beautiful surroundings at the heart of New Zealand's largest city
- The university has an impressive range of highly-ranked study programs and courses for both full degree and study abroad students
- All-round student life: hundreds of cultural, regional, environmental, academic, sports and social clubs for you to explore and to pick from
- The University’s City Campus is located right at the heart of Auckland, which gives you great possibilities to be active also outside the university sphere. The campus is only a 10-minute walk from the waterfront, and close to pristine beaches, bush walks, volcano trails, mountain bike tracks and subtropical islands.
- Diversity of cultures amongst the student body, staff and the city. At the University of Auckland you’ll get a true global perspective of your field
- Extensive alumni network – The University of Auckland is all about preparing students for their successful careers and introducing them to the relevant networks
- The University of Auckland is an internationally renowned university with several impressive ranking positions and great research units and institutes
- New Zealand is one of the world’s safest destinations to study abroad
The University has plenty of support services in place for international students. This means that even though you are far away from home, you will be well looked after!
- The University has over 40,000 students, which means that you will be part of a vibrant and exciting study environment
Rankings and reputation
The University of Auckland is a well-respected university, both nationally and internationally. Its staff is a key part of the university’s excellence and its status as New Zealand’s leading research university. For you as a student this means that you are offered unparalleled opportunities to be taught by the best academics in the country.
- The University of Auckland’s Business School has received Triple Crown accreditation from AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB. Only 1% of universities worldwide hold this prestigious accreditation.
- The QS World University Rankings places the University of Auckland among the top 100 universities in the world (82nd in 2015/2016), making it the highest ranked university in New Zealand.
- The University of Auckland is New Zealand’s only university to be ranked among the world’s top 200 universities by the Times Higher Education World Rankings of Universities (2015)
- The University of Auckland is also the highest ranked New Zealand university in the Shanghai Jiao Tong Academic Ranking of World Universities (2015)
- University of Auckland is also New Zealand’s only member of Universitas 21: a prestigious international consortium of research-led universities.
What can I study at the University of Auckland?
At the University of Auckland, you can choose between more than 30 undergraduate prorammes in 125 different subjects, as well as more than 100 postgraduate programmes. You can also spend 1-2 semesters as a Study Abroad student at the university. Ask more from KILROY study advisors.
Your study options at the University of Auckland are:
- 1-2 semesters Study Abroad
- Bachelor degree
- Postgraduate certificate or diploma
- Master degree (coursework or research)
What does it cost to study at the University of Auckland?
When it comes to tuition fees, it all comes down to what you are studying and at what level. Different programs have different price tags and the costs of your studies are also affected by your choice of accommodation and your general lifestyle in Auckland. Our study advisors are happy to help you out with any budget questions: contact us for specific program information.
Moreover, our study advisors can also help figure out the general living cost levels in Auckland. They will also advice you on your eligibility for government loans, scholarships, studeent benefits and whether your student visa allows you to work during your studies. Note that our study counselling is free, so don’t hesitate to contact us or and stop by for a counselling session!
The University of Auckland trivia
- The University of Auckland’s Māori name is Te Whare Wānanga o Tāmaki Makaurau.
- Philippa Boyens, the screenplay writer of the Lord of the Rings -series and King Kong, is among the famous alumni of the University of the Auckland. Several diplomats, politicians and Olympic athletes have also graduated from the university.
- The university was founded in 1883 as the University of Zealand when it started its operations in an old courthouse and jail. The name was changed in 1961 when the University of Auckland was established.
- There are 41,000 students and out of them 6,000 are from outside NZ.
- You have nearly 200 clubs and societies to keep you busy alongside your studies.
- Get the feel of the university by visiting their webpage or facebook page
How can KILROY help me study in Auckland?
KILROY offers free study counselling, so make use of it! You’ll get all the information you need and tips for your study abroad experience. Whether you need info about the university itself, Auckland, the accommodation choices, flight tickets or practical hints on how to get started with the application process, just hit us with your questions and we'll help you plan what is sure to become an amazing study experience. We look forward to hearing from you!